The late Big Pun would have been 46 years old today, but longtime fans aren’t feeling so celebratory after Chris Rivers—the legend’s son—unveiled a new music video, seemingly depicting the cruel ways of his father.
Shedding light on domestic violence and how it destroys households, Chris Rivers’ latest offering tells the barbaric tale of how a son overcame the ways of his abusive father, who’d also been abused as a kid. While many assumed “Fear Of My Crown” is about Pun (Rivers has been open about Pun’s abusive behavior in the past), the 22-year-old says that is not the case in the statement below:
Alongside the video, Rivers wrote in part: “The intentions of the video was to raise the general awareness of domestic violence and nothing more. The story in the video was no way a depiction of my story or my father in any way, but the basic cycle of abuse. This was meant to be an empowering video for people who have been through this and a voice for kids and the people who have suffered and on that note, it’s been very helpful to thousands of people who have been touched by it. Even the people hitting me personally thanking me for speaking up and giving them the courage to face their own past and grow from it. Unfortunately, the media spun it and has been targeting and demonizing my pops off of it. Their misinterpretation of the entire premise is drastic and I hate to see my father who was a great man who did many great things, not only for hip hop but for his community and loved ones, be marginalized into a bad person because people wanna focus on one thing.”
Watch “Fear Of My Crown” below.
These 12 Rappers Lost Weight & Look Better Than Ever
22 photos Launch gallery
1. Missy Elliott was one of the biggest stars of the '90s.
1 of 22
2. Now she's known as one of the best producers of all time and looks better than ever.
2 of 22
3. Rick Ross has always been a big boss.
3 of 22
4. Now the rapper just comes in a smaller package—75 pounds smaller (and counting).
4 of 22
5. Dr. Dre was a comfortable producer from Compton.
5 of 22
6. Then he started hitting the gym as much as the studio...and voilà.
6 of 22
7. David Banner went from wild rapper...
7 of 22
8. To superconscious king.
8 of 22
9. Timbaland's larger than life beats won everyone over in the '90s.
9 of 22
10. But both his beats and his health have gotten even better over the years.
10 of 22
11. Before heading to prison, Remy Ma was a carefree girl from the Bronx.
11 of 22
12. Remy came home as a grown woman who is clearly about that gym life.
12 of 22
13. Waka Flocka came in the game as a wild boy.
13 of 22
14. There's nothing in the world that Queen Latifah can't do.
14 of 22
15. ...Including lose lots of weight while still managing to look like her fine self.
15 of 22
16. Scarface never let the industry change him.
16 of 22
17. But the rapper has become more health conscious and feels he's happier because of it.
17 of 22
18. Jadakiss has been a fire emcee for over 20 years.
18 of 22
19. With his weight loss, he still looks the same as he did 20 years ago.
19 of 22
20. Fat Joe may have to change his name after his drastic weight loss.
Source:Radio One Houston
20 of 22
21. These days, he's Fly Joe.
21 of 22
22. Paul Wall looks like a completely different person. Still tippin'.
22 of 22