Source: Gregory Shamus / Getty
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has been the making headlines, since he refused to stand for the National Anthem during a preseason game because of the wrongdoings against African Americans and minorities in the U.S.
“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” he told NFL Media after the game .
“To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”
Now, many people have commented on this subject either showing support or disdain. Now it seems his former head coach and current Michigan Wolverine football head coach Jim Harbaugh has commented.
During his press conference, Harbaugh said he acknowledges Kaepernick’s right, but doesn’t respect what he did.
“I acknowledge his right to do that, but I don’t respect the motivation or the action,” Harbaugh said.
He later tweeted with an apology saying he misspoke.
“I apologize for misspeaking my true sentiments. To clarify, I support Colin’s motivation. It’s his method of action that I take exception to,” he tweeted.
The National Anthem – Best & Worst Performances
14 photos Launch gallery
1. BEST: Jennifer Hudson – Nailed it! 2009 Super Bowl. (Photo: Retna)
1 of 14
2. BEST: Whitney Houston – Nailed it! – Super Bowl XXV in 1991 (Photo: AP)
2 of 14
3. BEST: Monica Brown – Got It Right! – Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 in 2014
3 of 14
4. WORST: Christina Aguilera – flubbed the lyrics at Super Bowl 45 in 2011. (Photo: AP)
4 of 14
5. BEST: Beyonce – Nailed it! Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2004. (Photo: Retna)
5 of 14
6. WORST: Keri Hilson met with some major booing after messing up the song at a Lakers game. (Photo: Retna)
6 of 14
7. WORST: Steven Tyler – butchered the song at the AFC Championship game in Massachusetts earlier this year. (AP)
7 of 14
8. BEST: Mariah Carey – Nailed it! Super Bowl 2002. (AP)
8 of 14
9. WORST: Roseanne Barr butchered the song at a 1990 San Diego Padres game, which sent the crowd into a frenzy. (AP)
9 of 14
10. BEST: Fergie got some high praise for her performance of the National Anthem for Monday Night Football in September-2011.
10 of 14
11. WORST: Michael Bolton had the lyrics written on his hand and still managed to mess up. Fenway Park – 2003. (Photo: AP)
11 of 14
12. BEST: Kelly Rowland -Nailed it! Bears vs. Giants in October 2010. (Photo: Retna)
12 of 14
13. WORST: R. Kelly was booed by a Las Vegas audience at a boxing match in 2005 for his rendition of the Anthem. (Photo: Retna)
13 of 14
14. WORST: Scotty McCreery flubbed the lyrics while singing the National Anthem for the World Series in 2011. (Photo: AP)
14 of 14