She was open, honest, and funny to the point where she even made fun of herself a little bit: “People say I have this common effect on rappers: that I make them change Gods and wear crochet hats, shoulder pads. So they have banned me from all of the hip-hop awards with a sign saying ‘Erykah Badu, leave our rappers alone,’” she joked.
The songstress even went as far as throwing shade at Iggy Azealea during her opening monologue. Viewers of this year’s show headed straight to social media to praise Badu for her effortless hosting skills, some hailing the Soul Train Awards as the most entertaining award show this year:
With her jazzy mystique and amazing sense of humor, here are reasons Erykah Badu should host everything:
We’ve all seen her slide in Twitter trolls DM’s and put them in their places. She even had a Twitter beef with Azealia Banks and shaded Iggy Azalea, unapologetically.
Nothing’s cooler than a woman with a sense of humor, and Ms. Badu has lots of it. If you follow @FatBellyBella on twitter or Vine, you know that she’s funnier than most people you may know.
Ever since Badu hit the scene in the early ’90s, her fashion sense has put her in a league of her own. Her style is so iconic and eccentric that she became the face of Riccardo Tisci’s Spring/Summer 2014 campaign.
It’s no secret that Badu is multitalented. Ms. Low Down Loretta Brown is a singer, dancer, director, actress, and even a doula. There’s also an urban legend about her creative energies influencing the style evolution of her famous ex-boyfriends, Andre 3000 and Common.
For years, seeing Erykah Badu out and about or on a red carpet was like seeing a unicorn. Nowadays, it’s rare for an artist to not share everything about themselves and keep a sense of mystery. Some people say that if you look Badu in her green eyes for too long, you might get hypnotized.
Badu’s time as a host was pretty epic for viewers and attendees alike. It was refreshing to see her as a personality instead of an urban legend. We vote for Erykah Badu to host every awards show. Ever.
Thank us later.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Splash, Twitter
Erykah Badu's Most Outrageous Outfits
1. Matching is for losers.Source:Getty 1 of 14
2. An extra-tall hat and a coat to match.Source:Getty 2 of 14
3. Making sweats look cool on 106 & Park.Source:Getty 3 of 14
4. She wore headphones as an accessory before everyone did.Source:Getty 4 of 14
5. She also did denim on denim before it was cool.Source:Getty 5 of 14
6. She'll rock kicks on the red carpet.Source:Getty 6 of 14
7. All yellow everything.Source:Getty 7 of 14
8. Known to pull a cowboy hat out of her collection.Source:Getty 8 of 14
9. Another interesting hat.Source:Getty 9 of 14
10. When she made feathers a fashion statement.Source:Getty 10 of 14
11. The bag lady.Source:Getty 11 of 14
12. She's never afraid to take hair risks.Source:Getty 12 of 14
13. She was a vibrant stand-out at the Academy Awards.Source:Getty 13 of 14
14. Only Erykah Badu can make a colorful windbreaker look this cool.Source:Getty 14 of 14