CITY OF DETROIT ANNOUNCES STREET CLOSURES FOR
AMERICA’S THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE AND TURKEY TROT NOV. 26
Parade viewing will be restricted in locations along Woodward
Those attending the America’s Thanksgiving Parade and Turkey Trot on Thursday, Nov. 26 should be aware of road closures and certain restrictions on parade viewing along Woodward Avenue as a result of the M-1 Rail construction.
The City of Detroit also issued a reminder to parade watchers that the building of scaffolds and any device without a City permit is prohibited during Thanksgiving events in downtown Detroit on private or public property. Violators will receive tickets, and the scaffolds will be removed.
Motorists traveling to downtown Detroit on Wednesday, Nov. 25 and for the parade on Thursday, Nov. 26 should note the following road closures.
Woodward Avenue from West Grand Boulevard to Warren will be closed completely from Wednesday, Nov. 25 at 5 p.m. through Thursday, Nov. 26 at 2 p.m.
Woodward Avenue from Warren to Jefferson will be shut down beginning at 2 a.m. until the conclusion of the parade on Thursday, Nov. 26.
Emergency vehicles will be allowed to cross Woodward Avenue at Warren, Mack/MLK, Alexandrine, Montcalm and Adams.
This year, the parade is being held in a construction zone as a result of work on the M-1 Rail. Along Woodward Avenue, there are locations where parade viewing will be restricted:
· Woodward Avenue from Winder to Montcalm (viewing from west side of Woodward only. No viewing will be allowed on the I-75 overpass.)
The following streets will have limited access beginning at noon on Wednesday, Nov. 25:
· Amsterdam/Piquette from Cass to John R
· Harper from Cass to John R
· Palmer from Cass to John R
· Ferry from Cass to John R
· Farnsworth/Putnam from Cass to John R
The following streets will be closed beginning at 5 a.m. on Thursday, Nov. 26:
· Michigan at Cass
· Fort Street from Trumbull to Woodward
· Congress from Shelby to Randolph
· Larned from Shelby to Randolph
· Shelby from Congress to Michigan
· Michigan from Cass to Woodward
· Monroe from Woodward to Randolph
· Lafayette Blvd. from Trumbull to Griswold
· Washington Blvd. from Adams to Congress
· Atwater from Civic Center Drive to Third
These streets, including Michigan Avenue and Washington Boulevard will reopen after the Turkey Trot at about 10 a.m.
In addition, the southbound Lodge exits at West Jefferson/Cobo and Larned Street (Exits 1A & 1B) and the northbound Lodge exit at West Jefferson (Exit 1A) will be closed during the entire Turkey Trot. The Larned exit will reopen after the Turkey Trot ends.
Parents can find lost children at the Detroit Police Department Downtown Services, 20 Atwater or call (313)237-2850 or (313)-237-2828.
Street Closures for America’s Thanksgiving Parade and Turkey Trot on Thursday, Nov. 26 was originally published on wchbnewsdetroit.com