College officials are tired of your Halloween tricks. Not those tricks but, you know, the racist kind. So one college is making an actual attempt to rid students’ antics of discrimination when dressing in costume for the spirited holiday.
Every year for Halloween, many people post themselves in costume on social media, and a good amount of those “costumes” happen to be blackface or another derogatory get-up. Most recently, White students dressed up in blackface for a Kanye West-themed party on UCLA’s campus. Well, Connecticut’s Wesleyan University is taking precautions so their students don’t make the same mistakes.
According to Inside Higher Ed, the school’s Office of Student Affairs posted tips on how not to offend other cultures for Halloween. It starts off…
“Ask, Does This Costume: mock cultural or religious symbols such as dreadlocks, headdresses, afros, bindis, etc.?
… attempt to represent an entire culture or ethnicity?”
If a student is still unsure, Wesleyan offers a host of numbers to reach out to, such as their Office of Equality and Inclusion and Religious and Spiritual Life.
We hope the students and other college campuses will follow suit to avoid cultural insensitivity this year and for years to come.
SOURCE: Inside Higher Ed | PHOTO CREDIT: Instagram, Twitter
1 of 13
1. Because lung cancer is in?
2 of 13
3 of 13
3. You know this is basically a drug dealer, right?
4 of 13
4. ALL THE NOPES IN THE WORLD!
5 of 13
5. We're sure he can wait until college to be introduced to this game.
6 of 13
6. Parenting Fail 101.
7 of 13
7. Sure, let's teach our boys that while "pimpin' ain't easy," it sure is funny for Halloween.
8 of 13
8. Ummm….more NO!
9 of 13
9. Robert E. Lee? Might as well slap a sign that says "I Support Slavery" on your kid.
10 of 13
10. Sure, why not dress your baby up as a mass murderer?
11 of 13
11. Thanks a lot, MTV.
12 of 13
12. NO NO NO NO NO!
13 of 13
13. Can we all just agree that guns and children don't mix?
Finally! This University Is Trying To Get Rid Of Blackface On Campus was originally published on globalgrind.com