If you stand for nothing, you fall for anything, and Roni Dean-Burren wasn’t going to stand for her ninth-grade son taking in erroneous information in his history book.
The mom vented on Instagram about a misleading interpretation of history in World Geography by McGraw-Hill Education, according to Buzzfeed. A passage in the textbook, “Patterns of Immigration,” got history all wrong:
The Atlantic slave trade between the 1500s and the 1800s brought millions of workers from Africa to the southern United States to work on agricultural plantations.
She explained further in a Facebook video that the book edition mentions Europeans being immigrants, but it makes no mention of Africans entering North America as slaves. The video has since been viewed over one million times.
Due to the backlash, the publisher said in a statement that it would make a change in its next edition:
We conducted a close review of the content and agree that our language in that caption did not adequately convey that Africans were both forced into migration and to labor against their will as slaves.
We believe we can do better. To communicate these facts more clearly, we will update this caption to describe the arrival of African slaves in the U.S. as a forced migration and emphasize that their work was done as slave labor. These changes will be reflected in the digital version of the program immediately and will be included in the program’s next print run.
Dean-Burren wrote that she’s happy the book publisher decided to make the change, all while thanking her son for noticing the egregious error.
SOURCE: Buzzfeed, Facebook | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
25 Women That Capture The True Meaning Of Black Beauty
1 of 25
1. Even when Ciara is on chill mode, she oozes gorgeous glamour.
2 of 25
2. The lovely Amandla Stenberg is the definition of pure exquisiteness.
3 of 25
3. Niecy Nash resonates with beauty in a red dress.
4 of 25
4. Just like we will love you when you're at your Beyonce.
5 of 25
5. We will love you when you're at your Michelle Williams.
6 of 25
6. Nia Long has a beautiful smile.
7 of 25
7. The gorgeous Meagan Good in a sexy black dress.
8 of 25
8. Ava DuVernay is classy.
9 of 25
9. Natural beauty Viola Davis flashes a great smile.
10 of 25
10. Misty Copeland shines in white.
11 of 25
11. Zoe Kravitz's braids give her a look of Black excellence.
12 of 25
12. Rihanna's beauty is always money.
13 of 25
13. Sherri Shepherd blooms in stripes.
14 of 25
14. Gabby Douglas the the champion of good looks.
15 of 25
15. Purple hair and all, Justine Skye is our favorite.
16 of 25
16. Zendaya just smells like grace, class, and everything that's right in the world.
17 of 25
17. Jada Pinkett is proof that Black don't crack.
18 of 25
18. Jurnee Smollett been fire since "Eve's Bayou."
19 of 25
19. Phylicia Rashad still got it, after all these years.
20 of 25
20. Serena Williams is strong.
21 of 25
21. When it comes to beauty, we are with Kiersey Clemons. F It!
22 of 25
22. We love Whoopi.
23 of 25
23. Natural charm and elegance comes easy for Jill Scott.
24 of 25
24. Erykah Badu has a great face.
25 of 25
25. Deelishis is delicious.
This Badass Mom Slammed Textbook Publisher For Calling Slaves “Workers” & “Immigrants” was originally published on globalgrind.com