According to a CBS News report dated, June 19, 2011, unemployment is at an all-time high among African Americans (16.2 % for our community in general and 17.5 % for African American men). In major cities like New York 34% of Black males between the ages of 19 and 24 are not working. Juggling finances can be difficult for any man who is unemployed, but for unemployed men who have been ordered to pay child support things can get really difficult. Many judges refuse to lower child support orders even when a guy has lost his job due to no fault of his own. If a father fails to pay his child support he faces a host of stiff criminal and civil penalties including:
* The suspension of his driver's license
* The the freezing of his bank accounts and,
* Jail time
In addition, many states attach fees, penalties and interest to unpaid child support.
Contact Attorney Middleton to get your questions answered:
- What are some of the big child support mistakes men make when they get laid off?
- How can men better protect themselves from these costly errors?
- Why are so many judges refusing to lower child support payments when men get laid off
- What are some of the big mistakes men make that keep their child support from being lowered
- What can unemployed men do to avoid these costly errors so that they can get the child support reductions they so desperately need.
About Cathy Middleton-Lewis, ESQ
New York child support lawyer Cathy Middleton-Lewis, has over twelve years in litigating challenging family court cases. Her client list consists of high powered celebrities like Grammy Award winning dance hall artist ‘Bounty Killer’ and everyday individuals who want the very best in legal services. Middleton-Lewis has won hundreds of child custody, visitation, paternity and support cases and negotiated effective settlement agreements in many others. A much sought after advisor on child support issues Middleton-Lewis has traveled nationally conducting workshops for men and women facing family law problems. Middleton-Lewis has appeared as a frequent guest host of television and radio programming including WABC, TV Philadelphia, QPTV New York, Cable Maryland, The Michael Baisden Show, The Wendy Williams Experience, and many more. She is the on-air, resident child support attorney for The Ed Lover Morning Show.
Do you have a Child Support/FOC Question? Cathy Middleton, ESQ has Answers was originally published on wchbnewsdetroit.com