Police: ‘SOS’ note left behind at diner by child raises alarm
Berkley Police are looking for children that may be in danger after a note asking for help was left behind at a restaurant.
The children were last seen at Alex’s Restaurant around 1:15 p.m. Monday. Three children and two women were having lunch, when one of the children sat down to write a note. It read “I’m with some people, please help me.”
The restaurant’s surveillance video shows the child grab a pen near the cash register, take a napkin and begin to write a note. He is also seen nervously looking to the corner booth where he was having lunch with the women and other kids.
Employees guess their ages to be around 2, 4 and 8.
The note was found on the seat of a chair at the lunch bar by Shareen Naamou.
“We’re hoping this is just a prank. I hope he’s not in danger,” she said.
Police are reaching out to see if anyone knows who they are. They are asking anyone with information to call them at 248-658-3380.
Charges pending against teen after shooting threat made towards Milford High School
Charges are pending against a 14-year-old boy who allegedly threatened on social media to shoot up a local high school.
The alleged threat was made through a social messenger app called Kik.
In the threat, authorities say the teen said he was going to bring guns and “shoot up” Milford High School, and made reference to the shooting at Columbine High School in Colorado in 1999.
“The other students who saw the message on the Kik social media app were actually proactive enough to let their parents know; their parents then reached out to law enforcement; law enforcement worked with the school district,” says Kimberly Root of Huron Valley Schools.
The student, whose name is not being released because he is a minor, was taken into custody.
“There is no such thing as a joke when you’re talking about coming to shoot people. Not in this world, not in this time,” says Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard.
The Kik app is a way to text message, chat and share photos. Many social sites like this one are not monitored by creators. That’s why watching your kids’ activities on the Internet is so important, reminds Andrew Arena, who is formerly with the FBI and is now with the Metropolitan Crime Commission.
“Keep an eye on what sites your kids go on. Keep an eye on who they’re talking to, and it’s not just threats like this. It could be bullying. You’re going to learn a lot about your kids by monitoring what they’re doing,” he says.
What made this teen’s threat more serious is that authorities found multiple firearms were found at the boy’s home, and have since been removed.
The teen is at Oakland County Children’s Village awaiting possible charges.
Chippewa Valley teacher accused of having sexual contact with student
A Chippewa Valley High School teacher is accused of having inappropriate sexual contact with a student.
Christopher Cowles, 23, was arrested and has been charged with third-degree criminal sexual conduct. Clinton Township police say the student was 16 years old when the alleged behavior took place.
Macomb County Prosecutor Erik Smith says, “over the course of three weeks, there were over 600 texts between the two of them. That is not your normal teacher-student interaction, obviously.”
School authorities say Cowles was hired last year as a CTE (Career Technical Education) teacher to fill a vacancy. They say he underwent and passed a criminal background check.
“With her (victim) going forward and us feeling very confident about our case, we will be able to take Christopher Cowles out of school districts forever,” says Smith.
One Chippewa Valley student say Cowles, “would talk about girls in the school and how cute they were.” One student even mentioned how awkward and uncomfortable they felt being in Cowles classroom.
Cowles is currently on unpaid administrative leave and is barred from school property and events. He also faces permanent dismissal from Chippewa valley Schools.
Cowles entered a not guilty plea, and a judge set his bond at $250,000.
Construction expected to begin for a Detroit Applebee’s
Construction for a new restaurant in Detroit is expected to begin this summer.
An Applebee’s is planned to go at the intersection of 8 Mile and Woodward, in the same plaza as the new Meijer.
This will be the first national casual dining restaurant outside of the city’s central business district.
The Applebee’s will have high-rise ceilings, an expanded bar area and more televisions. The decor is also planned to be specific to the city of Detroit.
More than 100 salary and hourly-level employees will be hired there.
The construction is expected to begin in June, pending municipal approvals.
Written by LBeasley (Lauren Beasley), Digital Producer of The Morning Heat and Sports Editor of Radio One Detroit
Keep up with the Morning Heat on Instagram and Twitter at @hiphopdetroit