CLOSE
1 reads
Leave a comment

aiyana-stanley-jones

No third trial for officer in death of Aiyana Stanley-Jones

The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office has decided there will be no third trial for the police officer who fatally shot Aiyanna Stanley-Jones.

Joseph Weekley could have been tried for a misdemeanor count of Careless Discharge Causing Injury or Death.

The 38-year-old Weekley received a second mistrial last October in the death of Jones, 7, who was fatally shot during a police raid four years ago.

At the time, Weekley said Aiyana’s grandmother, Mertilla Jones grabbed his gun causing him to accidentally pull the trigger. Jones says she never did.

The prosecution said that Weekley’s finger should have never been on the trigger. The jury says they struggled on the definition of negligence.

In the second trial, the charges of felony manslaughter were dismissed. Under the law the decision cannot be appealed.

In a statement from Prosecutor Kym Worthy, she said:

Today we personally informed the family of Aiyana Stanley-Jones that we have made a decision that we would not be going to trial for a third time in the Joseph Weekley case. It is unfortunate that Judge Cynthia

Gray Hathaway granted a directed verdict dismissing the felony Manslaughter charged, leaving only the misdemeanor count of Careless Discharge Causing Injury or Death. Under the law her decision cannot be appealed. On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 9:00 a.m., we will move to dismiss the case.

Angela Alexie charged with murder for leaving baby in recycling bin

The 24-year-old woman accused of dumping her newborn baby in a recylcing bin was led into an Eastpointe 38th District Court Wednesday.

Angela Alexie was charged with murder and child abuse, both life felonies. She is being held on a $1 million bond.

Police say she had been staying at a house on Gascony with some friends nearby when she gave birth to a baby boy born in a garage, who would later be thrown away.

Investigators say Alexie confessed to giving birth to the child on Dec. 22.

“The baby stayed alive for several days in the garage, as she went into the house and back into the garage,” said Det. Brad McKenzie, of the Roseville police. “Checking on the baby every few hours. The baby finally passed away on the 24th of December,

She told police she hid the dead baby in the garage until he was eventually placed in a recycling bin that was picked up on Jan. 13. The next day workers at the ReCommunity recycling facility in Roseville – discovered the baby – frozen and wrapped in a black t-shirt.

She told the judge she’s homeless, never had a job and doesn’t know how she pays her bills. Police say because of intense media attention after the discovery of the infant – tips came in about Alexie.

“She told some people she had a miscarriage,” Roseville Police Chief James Berlin said. “Some other people she told she had the child but gave it up. Just lots of inconsistencies.”

Berlin says Alexie also has other children ages four, three and one, which are not in her care – despite her claim on Facebook that she’s a full-time mother.

Amber Clark lived next door to Alexie at another location. Alexie had delivered one of her other children on her own there and Clark had seen her other children improperly dressed running around in the cold and snow.

Clark said she also recalls a lot of shady traffic in and out of Alexie’s house.

“I was calling the police and I was just trying to tell them that this deserves investigating,” Clark said. “Whether it’s drugs or prostitution, whatever it is, something’s not right.”

Clark says another neighbor also called police after Alexie left her children unattended in the home.

Those children were then removed from her care. As for this last baby, everyone wishes someone could have saved him.

The baby’s body remains with the Macomb County Medical Examiner. A local funeral parlor and a cemetery have stepped forward to give the baby a proper burial.

Alexie said nothing in court about a motive why she allegedly did what she did, to the baby.

Berlin said police do not know who the father is and added that Alexie may not know who the father is, either.

Man in custody after shooting death of 13-year-old in Detroit

A man has been taken into custody after the fatal shooting of a 13-year-old girl on Detroit’s east side Tuesday night.

Police believe the shooting was an accident, but are still investigating what happened.

The shooting happened at a home in the 1500 block of Lappin Avenue, which is near the intersection of Seven Mile and Kelly roads.

Police say no adults were home at the time, and the victim was at the house with a 14-year-old boy and some other younger children.

Police say the 14-year-old’s father was taken into custody as he is the owner of the gun.

The victim’s identity has not been made public at this time.

Authorities remind at a time like this how important it is to secure your weapons, and that the Detroit Police Department offers gun locks for free at any station.

Written by LBeasley (Lauren Beasley), Digital Producer of The Morning Heat and Sports Editor of Radio One Detroit

Keep up with the Morning Heat on Instagram and Twitter at @hiphopdetroit

The Morning Heat [PHOTOS]
10 photos

comments – add yours
×