0 reads
Leave a comment

The Morning Heat: Thursday’s Trending Topics

canadian

‘Horrific day’ in Canada

First a soldier guarding a hallowed war memorial was gunned down in Canada’s capital. Then shots erupted in the halls of the country’s Parliament minutes later. The two shootings in Ottawa Wednesday left lawmakers barricaded inside offices and parts of the city on lockdown for hours as police searched for suspects. Ottawa Police lifted the lockdown Wednesday night and said there was no longer a danger to the public.

But many questions remain about the shootings: Who was the gunman? Why did he open fire? And was he acting alone?

“It appears there was just one shooter, and that shooter is dead,” Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson told CNN’s Anderson Cooper. “But it has been a traumatic experience, obviously, for not only our city but the country.”

Investigators haven’t provided any possible motives for the shooting. Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper didn’t provide details about the investigation in a televised address to the nation Wednesday night. It is unclear whether additional suspects were tied to the shootings or whether additional arrests have been made. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said more information would be provided in a press conference Thursday.

As authorities continued to investigate, details began to emerge about the man they suspect was behind the shooting. Michael Zehaf-Bibeau was identified by Canadian officials to their American counterparts as the suspected gunman, multiple U.S. officials told CNN. Bibeau, who was born in 1982, was a convert to Islam and had a history of drug use before he converted, two sources said. His passport had been confiscated by Canadian authorities when they learned he planned to go fight overseas, a U.S. law enforcement official told CNN’s Susan Candiotti.

The official said it was not clear when that happened. Canadian broadcaster CBC reported that Bibeau had a record of drug arrests going back 10 years.

Ebola latest developments

President Barack Obama expresses cautious optimism. An infected nurse shows signs of improvement. And a military response team begins training. With multiple developments underway, here’s the latest on the Ebola outbreak

U.S. DEVELOPMENTS

Two infected Americans are cured; Nigeria and Senegal are Ebola-free; and dozens of people who came in contact with now-deceased Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan didn’t get the virus.

“It gives you some sense that when it’s caught early and where the public health infrastructure operates effectively, this outbreak can be stopped,” he said.

Nurse Vinson to be transferred from isolation.Texas nurse Amber Vinson, being treated for Ebola at Atlanta’s Emory University Hospital, is steadily regaining her strength and her spirits are high, her family said. Doctors can no longer detect the virus in Vinson’s body, and she’ll be transferred from isolation, her mother said.

The condition of nurse Nina Pham, who, like Vinson, contracted Ebola after treating Duncan, has been upgraded from fair to good.

Bentley the dog is also doing well. Samples from nurse Pham’s dog Bentley tested negative for the virus. More specimens will be collected before the end of the 21-day quarantine.

A 30-member U.S. military team that could be called on to respond to new cases of Ebola in the United States has begun specialized training at Fort Sam Houston in Texas. The weeklong training includes infection control and how to use the personal protective gear.

AFRICA DEVELOPMENTS

A total of 9,911 confirmed or probable cases, and 4,868 deaths have been reported in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, the World Health Organization said Wednesday. Every district in Sierra Leone has reported at least one case.

All travelers coming to the United States from Ebola-affected areas will be actively monitored for 21 days, starting Monday. Also, all U.S.-bound passengers from Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea must land in one of the five U.S. airports with enhanced screening for Ebola: New York’s John F. Kennedy International, Washington Dulles, New Jersey’s Newark Liberty International, Chicago’s O’Hare International and Hartsfield-Jackson International in Atlanta.

Police search for man caught on tape firebombing Dearborn Heights house

Dearborn Heights Police are searching for suspects in the firebombing of the home of a family of six. Police tape still surrounds the front door of the home on Charlesworth. Four kids narrowly escaped after someone threw a Molotov Cocktail into the house.

It happened around 1:00 a.m. Wednesday morning. Both the moment the fire was set and the family’s escape were caught on surveillance cameras. Linda and her family staying with relatives as police search for the person responsible. Investigators say they have names and are investigating possible suspects. If you have any information, call Dearborn Heights police at (313) 277-6770.

Teen charged as adult in Plymouth Township family murder plot

A 15-year-old Plymouth Township girl faces charges in connection with the stabbing of her 12-year-old brother that police say was part of a plot to murder her whole family. Roksana Sikorski is accused of conspiring with her 23-year-old boyfriend, Michael Rivera, to murder her family. She is charged with four counts of conspiracy to commit murder and one count of assault with intent to murder. Rivera was arraigned on similar charges earlier this week.

He allegedly was outside the Plymouth Township house sending text messages with instructions and pictures, directing his younger girlfriend while she was inside the home. She is accused of stabbing the boy in his throat with a knife. She’s also accused of trying to stab her younger sister.

The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office said Sikorski’s brother suffered multiple stab wounds. He was taken to Mott Children’s Hospital, treated and released. He’s expected to recover from his injuries. Sikorski is expected to be arraigned 9 a.m. Thursday in 35th District Court.

Inkster man arrested with 63 Cloud 9 vials officially charged

It is the drug that won’t go away, another synthetic marijuana called Cloud 9 – smoked through e-cigarettes or hookah pipes.

Now a man accused of being one of the state’s major suppliers is behind bars. Police say Bassam Honeini of Inkster was supplying synthetic marijuana to Macomb County from a small warehouse in Dearborn. In September detectives found 63 vials of liquid synthetic drugs in his car during a traffic stop. Detectives conducted additional searches of the man’s apartment and the Dearborn warehouse.

The street value of the confiscated drugs is estimated at $50,000. Honeini was charged with felony possession of controlled substance with intent to deliver or manufacture. He is facing seven years in jail.K2 and other synthetic drugs have been at the center of a teen drug war in Macomb County and its a war parents and police plan to win.

Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner: ‘I’ve been called the N-word so many times this year’

In the midst of Michigan football’s oft-frustrating year, quarterback Devin Gardner has found himself dealing with a lot: Fighting through a losing season, coming back from an injury only to lose a starting spot and more.

And he told The Detroit News that on social media, people are ready to spew the worst:

Last season, his first as the full-time starter, Gardner spoke about the hate email and Twitter posts he received. This year has been just as bad, if not worse, and he estimated he’s received at least 1,000 negative comments via Twitter and Instagram.

“I’ve been called the N-word so many times this year,” Gardner said. “One guy told me I was the N-word, and said I know N-words can’t play quarterback. And I was like, are we not past this? Say what you want about my skill, but come on.”

Written by LBeasley (Lauren Beasley), Digital Producer of The Morning Heat and Sports Editor of Radio One Detroit

Keep up with the Morning Heat on Instagram and Twitter at @hiphopdetroit

comments – Add Yours