Suspended Michigan wide receiver Csont’e York , who allegedly punched and broke a man’s jaw in an incident last month, has been dismissed from the Michigan football team. Michigan head coach Brady Hoke announced the news of York’s dismissal on Monday night.
“Csont’e York has been dismissed from the Michigan football program,” Hoke said in a released statement. “Representing the University of Michigan is a privilege and, while second chances are certainly deserved, sometimes it’s better for everyone if that happens somewhere else. Overall, I have been proud of how responsible our team has been this off-season and how hard they’ve worked to prepare for the season.”
Now for those who don’t know the details of York’s suspension or dismal, let’s recap. Earlier this month, Michigan head coach Brady Hoke announced that wide receiver Csont’e York had been suspended indefinitely for “failing to meet team standards.”
Shortly thereafter, York was charged with three counts of assault for an incident that relating to an offense committed on July 18, per a warrant filed Friday in Ann Arbor’s 15th District Court, according to MLive.com
Then to make matters worse, last week, the Ann Arbor police released a video that shows York punching a 23-year-old man outside of a downtown bar last month. In the black and white video below you will see York is visible near the top of the frame wearing a white, bucket-style hat and the victim does not appears see the punch coming. The punch occurs at about the 20-second mark in the video, which is posted below via MLive.com’s YouTube account.
According to MLive.com, York’s punched knocked out a tooth and broke his jaw in three places, requiring it to be wired shut and necessitating the temporary use of a breathing tube, according to the police report, which was obtained along with the video via a Freedom of Information Act request.
Now, some people may be surprised that York was dismissed from the team because after the release of the video last week, coach Hoke reiterated that there was “no question” that York was still part of the team.
“We’re going to go through the process,” Hoke said last week. “His status hasn’t changed.”
However, based on York’s recent dismissal from the team, something apparently changed but unlike others I am not going to speculate on what changed. Nevertheless, I have to say once gain that I find this continuous news about York very unfortunate. I never like to see a bright and talented young man like York getting into trouble with the law or otherwise.
Now, we will have to wait and see what happens next for the Michigan native and former Chandler Park Academy standout.
York was originally due in court later this week for a pretrial hearing, but that date has been pushed, according to court records that MLive.com obtained.
York is now scheduled to appear in front of Judge Elizabeth Pollard Hines to receive formal charges on Sept. 8 in Ann Arbor’s 15th District Court. The date is two days after Michigan travels to Notre Dame on Sept. 6.
Written by LBeasley (Lauren Beasley), Sports Contributor for Radio One Detroit
For more of L-Beasley’s (Lauren Beasley) sports news and in-depth sports content, click here.
Michigan Dismisses Sophomore WR Csont’e York From Football Program was originally published on wchbnewsdetroit.com