The family of Maya Angelou arranged a private memorial service Saturday at Wake Forest University’s Wait Chapel, where the writer had taught for more than 30 years. First lady Michelle Obama, Former President Clinton and Oprah Winfrey paid tribute to Angelou along with family, friends and admirers.
Angelou died May 28 at age 86.
Share your thoughts on the legacy of Maya Angelou in the comments below. How did the phenomenal woman touch your life?
- 20 Facts You Didn’t Know About Maya Angelou
- Oprah Remembers Her First Meeting With Maya Angelou
- Common Pays Tribute To Maya Angelou In Moving Letter
- There’s A Lesson In Dr. Maya Angelou’s Past As A Sex Worker
- Terrance J On Being Invited To Maya Angelou’s For Thanksgiving
- NC Governor Orders State Flags To Fly At Half-Staff In Honor Of Maya Angelou
- Dr. Maya Angelou Reciting Her Favorite Poems
- Maya Angelou: Activist and Pan Africanist
- India.Arie Shares How Maya Angelou Influenced Her
- Congressmen G.K. Butterfield and Charlie Rangel Reflect On Maya Angelou
- Maya Angelou On the Importance Of Speaking the Truth
Maya Angelou: Timeline for a Phenomenal Woman
1. 1928 – A Childhood Too Rough For WordsSource:Screenshot from Super Soul Sunday on OWN 1 of 8
2. 1945 – Motherhood, And A DreamSource:Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images 2 of 8
3. 1950s – A Career in Show Business3 of 8
4. 1960s – Empowered by Words and PrideSource:Johnson Family Archives 4 of 8
5. 1969 - An Autobiography Changes Everything5 of 8
6. 1974 – Autobiographies Keep Coming6 of 8
7. 1978 - Iconic Poems ReleasedSource:Getty Images 7 of 8
8. 1998 - A Directing FirstSource:Miramax 8 of 8
Oprah, Michelle Obama and More Pay Respects At Maya Angelou’s Funeral [VIDEO] was originally published on newsone.com