February marks Black History Month and Lifetime plans to kick of the 28-day celebration with two all-new original movies.
The Gabby Douglas Story will premiere on February 1st. The biopic features an all-star cast of Regina King, Epatha Merkerson, Sydney Mikayla and “Everybody Hates Chris” star Imani Hakim as the two-time Olympic gold medalist.
According to a press release, the film “tells the inspiring true story of the international gymnastics phenomenon who overcame overwhelming odds to become the first African-American ever to be named Individual All-Around Champion in artistic gymnastics at the Olympic Games.”
On February 22nd, Lifetime will air the film adaptation of The Trip to Bountiful. The all-black Broadway revival stars Cicely Tyson, Vanessa Williams, Blair Underwood and Keke Palmer.
In addition to the highly-anticipated premieres, the network will also launch the Gabby Douglas Raise the Bar Pledge, a contest to encourage students across the county to raise the bar in their own lives. Learn more details here.
Trailers for both films have yet to be released.
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!
Check Out This Gallery
Daily Buzz 3.14.13: Gabby Douglas releasing second memoir
1. Lola Monroe welcomes son1 of 9
2. Meshell Ndegeocello to honor Langston Hughes2 of 9
3. Pope Francis named first Latino pontiff3 of 9
4. Derrick Rose offers to pay for Jonylah Watkins’ funeral4 of 9
5. Walter Jackson upset about Bravo snub5 of 9
6. TC Carson covers ‘Lost Without You’6 of 9
7. Rihanna has the flu7 of 9
8. Gabby Douglas publishes second memoir8 of 9
Lifetime Plans To Kick Off Black History Month With Premiere Of ‘The Gabby Douglas Story’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com