R&B singer Frank Ocean’s cousin, Sha’Keir Duarte, has reportedly filed a lawsuit for more than $3 million against fellow crooner Chris Brown over injuries he suffered in a dispute earlier this year.
According to reports, Duarte wants millions in emotional distress, punitive damages, pain and medical expenses.
Chris Brown is responsible for more than $3 million dollars in pain and suffering … according to legal docs filed by Frank Ocean’s cousin over that massive brawl outside a recording studio. The docs were filed by Sha’Keir Duarte … who claims one of Chris’ goons put the hurtin’ on him during the melee between Chris, Frank, and their posses in West Hollywood last January. Duarte claims Brown’s bodyguard brutalized him … and in his court docs he itemizes his list of damages complete with price tags: -$1,000,000 for pain, suffering and inconvenience -$1,000,000 for emotional distress -$1,000,000 for punitive damages -plus, another $60K for medical expenses (TMZ)
Buzz behind one of Ocean’s pals pressing charges against Brown heated up the ‘net over the summer.
A man who claims he was punched and kicked by a member of Chris Brown’s entourage during a fight at a recording studio sued the R&B singer on Tuesday for assault and battery. Sha’keir Duarte sued Brown for unspecified damages in Los Angeles Superior Court, claiming he suffered a concussion as well as humiliation and mental anguish as a result of the attack. Brown’s attorney Mark Geragos called the case frivolous and said it amounted to an attempted shakedown. (Associated Press)
Back in March, Brown made sure to diffuse speculated issues between him and Ocean following the incident.
“With the Frank Ocean situation, I’ll put it like this, it’s in the past. Some stuff went down, but it’s whatever. It’s always sensationalized and always blown out of proportion. I got respect for his music. I got respect for everybody else, so I ain’t really trying to really go back down that route. Everything for me is moving forward. I do my music now so I’m good.” (Power 106)
Despite the physical confrontation, Frank issued an open statement in February and said he would not press criminal charges.
“AS A CHILD I THOUGHT IF SOMEONE JUMPED ME IT WOULD RESULT IN ME MURDERING OR MUTILATING A MAN. BUT AS A MAN I AM NOT A KILLER. I’M AN ARTIST AND A MODERN PERSON. I’LL CHOOSE SANITY. NO CRIMINAL CHARGES. NO CIVIL LAWSUIT. FORGIVENESS, ALBEIT DIFFICULT, IS WISDOM. PEACE, ALBEIT TRITE, IS WHAT I WANT IN MY SHORT LIFE. PEACE.” (Frank Ocean’s Tumblr)