More than 19 million Americans have been the victims of ID-related fraud over the past two years and document shredding and electronics recycling are two of the most effective ways to dispose of sensitive records, data, documents and information. We offer this event, for free, to consumers and small businesses to help them safely and securely rid themselves of old electronics and documents that contain personal, confidential information.
Better Business Bureau of Eastern Michigan Hosts ‘Secure Your ID’ Day
Cintas & GEEP to Provide On-Site Document Shredding and Computer Recycling for BBB Event
Southfield, MI – October 2013 – Better Business Bureau (BBB) Serving Detroit & Eastern Michigan is partnering with Cintas, Global Electric Electronic Processing (GEEP), GreenPath Debt Solutions, Fox 2 News and Bischer Technologies to host ‘Secure Your ID’ Day on October 19, 2013. Consumers are urged to attend this community shred and computer recycling event in the BBB Office parking lot in Southfield as an important step in protecting their privacy.
Document shredding and electronics recycling are two of the most effective ways to dispose of sensitive records, data, documents and information. However, it is important to know how long to keep certain documents, so prior to attending the event or shredding at home, consumers should consult this records retention schedule for more information.
In addition, electronic devices, even when no longer in use, often retain confidential personal information that can fall into the wrong hands if disposed of incorrectly; properly destroying this information is imperative to your personal security.
Details for this event:
What: BBB ‘Secure Your ID Day’ – Document Shredding and Computer Recycling Event
When: Saturday, October 19; 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. ET Please arrive early – you MUST be in line by 12:30 pm.
Where: BBB Offices; 26777 Central Park Blvd; Southfield, MI 48076
Contact: Doris Hendricks; 248.799.0305 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Service Provided by ‘Secure Your ID’ Day Partners:
· Cintas will shred up to three boxes or bags of sensitive paper documents at no charge. There will be a $10 per box/bag charged for additional bags/boxes with proceeds supporting the BBB Educational Foundation.
· Fox 2 News provides television coverage and a PSA to promote this event and to educate consumers on the need for proper disposal of confidential information.
· Global Electric Electronic Processing (GEEP) of Michigan will be on hand to collect computer hard drives, printers, copiers, scanners, desktops, laptops, keyboards, mice, cell phones, DVD and VCR players, etc. free of charge. All shredded paper, destroyed hard drives and electronic equipment from this event will be recycled to protect the environment.
· GreenPath Debt Solutions will provide on-site certified counselors to educate about their services and schedule one-on-one counseling sessions.
· Bischer Technologies will provide IT Consulting for small business who attend the event.
About The Better Business Bureau Serving Detroit & Eastern Michigan
The Better Business Bureau Serving Detroit & Eastern Michigan is a non-profit organization with the purpose of promoting trust in the marketplace by assisting in the protection of consumers and businesses from fraud and unethical business practices. In addition to its recognized dispute resolution services, the BBB maintains business reviews on the customer service history of more than 90,000 local businesses and provides consumer education materials on numerous topics. The BBB provides its services free to the public and its service territory stretches across Eastern Michigan from Ann Arbor through Metropolitan Detroit, Lansing, Flint, upward to Alpena, and covers the entire Upper Peninsula of the state.